Friday, May 20, 2011

I am a Master in Education (completed blog entry)






Wow!  These last few months have been insane.  I began student teaching once I received my CSET results in February, as I was finishing girls water polo season.  My girls' polo team made it to CIF quarterfinals and lost in a heartbreaking game in the rain to the team who moved on to be the CIF runner up.  It's OK, I have a young team and lose one senior starter.  Next season it is on!!

February 7th through May 18th was possibly the busiest 16 weeks of my life! I was placed with two of La Serna's top English teachers in sophomore and Junior classes.  I was responsible for classroom management and lesson planning.  Through Holly and Karen's (my master teachers) guidance I survived my 16 weeks of student teaching. 

In addition to student teaching, I also served as head coach for boys and girls swimming at La Serna.  Along with my coaching staff, we coached 125 swimmers through a successful season winning league on all 4 levels (girls frosh, boys frosh, girls varsity, boys varsity).  Several swimmers swam their best times at this meet and qualified for CIF.  The next week we took our swimmers to CIF prelims and finals.  I had 1 swimmer win CIF in her individual event, several swimmers placed in their individuals and my boys 400 free relay won CIF and broke the school record!  Our girls 200 medley relay placed 2nd, breaking a school record.  Our girls 200 free relay won CIF, thus placing both girls and boys overall in 3rd our of 63 schools! I feel very accomplished as a first year coach at La Serna.

Not to add anymore to my plate, but I also had 2 classes, well 3 technically, this semester to complete my master's and credential program.  These classes kept me very busy with projects, presentations, assignments, etc. 

Often times, I calculated that I worked for 20 straight hours, constantly shifting gears from teacher to student, to coach always planning, organizing, or on the go.  Several cups of coffee were needed to jump start my day at 5am after 5 hours of sleep, and caffeine was necessary at 3p to continue my day, well into the darkness.  Despite all of my craziness, with the support of family and an awesome boyfriend...I made it.  I completed the program and swim season.  This week is our swim banquet, which will officially close La Serna swim season.  Then begins summer.  I'm back at Friendly Hills Country Club as aquatics director and running a summer 16 & under girls polo program for my JV girls and incoming freshman.  A busy summer ahead, but after these past 16 weeks it'll be a piece of cake!

I'll definitely be updating more frequently now that I'm out of school, provided the world doesn't end today! I'll keep you all posted on the job search too!

Peace,
E   

1 comment:

  1. That is so exciting! Now that you have all this free time which country are we going to visit to celebrate?

    ReplyDelete