“There is no better time than right now to be happy.Happiness is a journey, not a destination. So work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt, and, Dance like no one's watching...”
Monday, December 27, 2010
A Mile a Minute
Over the past year and a half or so, I have adopted a motto to live my life with "forward momentum", hence the name of my blog. It's a little reminder to continue moving forward no matter the road blocks I encounter in my life. :)
I have decided to write my annual Christmas letter in a blog format this year for two reasons: (1) Postage & printing is super expensive; (2) I am actually going to try and keep you updated on my insane life (if you're interested) throughout the year! :)
This year in a big nutshell...
Grad School-I can see the light, finally.
Spring semester was very busy with school and substitute teaching. I took the most units I've taken as a grad student, registering for 9 units, which for a graduate program is beyond full time. The classes kept me very occupied, between reading over 200 pages per week, observation hours, projects, presentations, etc. I made it through Spring semester with straight A's. I decided to get ahead in my grad program by taking 2 classes over summer, which proved to be difficult with my very busy coaching schedule in the summer. However, I managed and closed out summer classes just days before I left for my trip (I'll get to later). Fall semester has definitely been the most busy I have EVER been in my life, I think it's been months since I smelled roses, or any flowers for that matter. Fall was the most difficult semester in school yet. I enrolled in two classes, one of which required a TPA (Teacher Performance Assessment), a very silly California State requirement for teaching credentials and my master's class, which required a 25 page literature review at the end. Both classes were actually beneficial to my future career as a teacher. My professor recommended that I pursue my doctorate once I gain experience in the classroom...mad props for me! :) I finally finished the semester a week and a half ago and have 6 weeks of a much needed brain break!
Working Many Jobs...
To add to my busy academic life, I held several jobs this past year. I'm still obligated to Whittier College as a Graduate Assistant for Men's Water Polo and Swimming. Through the Spring and Summer semesters, I was responsible for attending swim meets and water polo tournaments to recruit high school athletes for Whittier College. In May, I returned as the Head Coach and Aquatics Director and Friendly Hills Country Club (FHCC). Working with young children over the summer is refreshing. Though it can be challenging at time, their innocence invigorates the soul. When you take a moment to listen to a four year old, they have quite a lot to say and it is usually down right hilarious! Returning from my big trip (yes, I'll get there...just building it up), I hit the ground sprinting! I started one day after my return preparing for the Men's team to arrive at Whittier College. We had about 10 days of "Camp" or "Hell Weeks", which entailed practice three times a day! Then school started and we practiced from 6-8a or 7-8a and 7p-9p daily. Our team was displaced from a pool this season because WC is building a brand new Aquatics facility, therefore we traveled about 15 minutes to another local pool. This made for late nights with the men's team, after driving them back to campus, then home it was nearly 10p! I worked in the WC Aquatics office Monday-Thursdays, then subbed on Fridays when possible. I taught a bodyscultping (exercise) class to unergraduate students on Monday and Wednesdays as well. In November, I became the Head Girls' Water Polo Coach at La Serna High School. Girls' season is through February, in which I will then pick up the La Serna High School swim team. I have officially turned in my high heels and business suits, put the flip flops on and stepped onto the pool deck year around. This is exactly where I should and want to be.
Fun & Family Stuff...
This year was a big year in the Brown household. My brother, Kevan obtained his driver's license and began driving over the summer. This fall his high school water polo team won CIF (similar to States) for his division! My sister, Amanda graduated from high school in June and is now attending Cal State Long Beach, living on campus! Dad started with a new company this year, which he loves. In addition to the many jobs Mom CA (Jayne) holds, she added one more, she's now a sports club leader for a free after school program at the elementary school. It's been an adjustment to spend her days at the school from 830a to 6p, however she is enjoying the role model/mentor she is to the children. Mom and David are still living in Melbourne and doing fabulous. They are living their lives positively and have such a close bond with each other. Though I miss them terribly in the holiday season, I know that I will see them in a few short months, which with my busy schedule will go by in warp speed!
For Amanda's graduation, I took her to Scotland and Ireland in August. It was the most spectacular trip! Mandi and I, and my cousin Nicki joined a Contiki tour in Edinburgh, Scotland and traveled through Scotland and almost all over Ireland. Our tour group was comprised of 45-50 people between the ages of 18 and 35. We saw remarkable scenery and experienced Scottish and Irish Culture in addition to being crammed on a coach with wonderful people! The three of us made friendships with people from all over the world, friendships I hope we can keep for years to come! We arrived in Edinburgh during the largest art festival! We experienced true Scottish culture through comedy, mini plays, and the Military Tattoo Festival, which had nothing to do with Tattoos! It was actually a "concert" of bag pipes and other military bands. Truly a fabulous show! We traveled through Scotland, into Glasgow and took the ferry into Northern Ireland. From there, we visited Galway, Cork, Kilkenny and Dublin. We stayed a few extra days in Dublin with friends we met on the tour and definitely did not want to leave them! Overall, fantastic experience with my sister and my cousin.
On the horizon... I am going to enjoy my 6 week brain break from school, while coaching the girls' water polo team through the winter season. I plan to spend New Year's in Big Bear with my new guy and new friends! I hope to student teach in the Spring semester, then graduate with my master's degree in May. I'm in my cousin Jeni's wedding in March, then will celebrate my 30th birthday in April....yes, I'm turning 30! I'll also return as the Head Coach and Aquatics director at FHCC next summer. Hopefully I will find a teaching position in English for Fall of 2011. I plan to make it home to Florida in September for on of my best friend's (Ed) wedding. Unfortunately, as of now 2011 doesn't have any international travel plans, however I know I'll keep busy and will be planning an international trip for 2012! :)
I hope that you all have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year. May 2011 be a year of new beginnings and good things.
Come what may,
Erin
P.S. I'll post Christmas and New Year's pictures after New Year's. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment